Jo Daviess County requires a marriage or civil union license to be issued by the county and is only valid within the county.
- Both people must be present to apply for license.
- The cost is $50.
- A couple may NOT be married until one day after the license is issued and must be married within 61 days from the date of issuance. Either a clergyman or a judge may perform a marriage in Illinois.
I. D. Requirement:
Both people need identification papers. One form of any of the following is accepted:
- U.S. Driver’s License
- U.S. State Identification Card
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Military Identification Card
- Illinois Department of Public Aid Identification Card
If a person cannot provide any of the above identification cards, two of the following documents will be accepted:
- Birth Certificate
- Valid U.S. Resident Alien Card
- Valid Foreign Passport
- Consulate Identification Card
- Baptismal Card with date of birth
- Life Insurance Policy in affect for one year and date of birth
The following information is needed to complete the application:
- Full names of parents (first, middle, maiden, last)
- State of birth for parents, bride and groom
- Current address of parents
- If either party was previously married, the date the marriage ended (month, day, year), the county and state the divorce or death is recorded in and how the marriage ended (death, divorce, etc. )
In order to be married or have a union in Illinois, you must be at least 16 years-of-age. If you are 16 or 17 years-of-age, your parents must sign a parental consent from the County Clerk’s office. If it is not possible for your parents to sign the consent in this office, it may be done before the County Clerk in your parents’ home county.
To apply for a marriage or civil union license, contact:
Jo Daviess County Clerk
Jo Daviess County Courthouse
330 N. Bench St.
Galena, IL 61036
Monday – Friday (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Please also check out Jo Daviess County’s church listings.