For our “Favorite Things” series we asked local artist of Stoned Art Studio, Henry Matthiessen III, to share what he loves about Jo Daviess County!
1. The Driftless Area scenery is just stunning. I‚Äôm very fortunate to be living and have my studio on top of one of the hills amongst it.
2. Having access to and being able hang out with many of the artisans sprinkled through out Jo Daviess County. They inspire and mentor me as an artist.
3. The sharing that takes place among the folks living here.
4. Access to the Mississippi River. (photo taken at the Mississippi Palisades State Park)
6. Having all the wineries in the area.
Henry has lived in Jo Daviess County for about two years, but has been visiting from the Chicagoland area for over 30 years. Stoned Art Studio has been established for 5 years…it’s a combination of his artwork and landscape photography. His studio on Snipe Hollow Rd. has been constructed from reclaimed, old barn steel¬†and¬†100 year old boxcar doors are planted in the walls. Post and beams, tongue and groove from an old locomotive shed, etc. Henry is moving his art and landscape photography into this space from his basement studio, to be ready for his open studio events on weekends.¬†
Henry has been involved in the development of the NW IL Art Festival and the All River Road Talent art tour¬†(ARRT).¬†The next tour will be held Saturday,¬†November 7, 2015. Artists of all ages and art styles come together to showcase their talents by opening their studios to the public. Take a country drive, visit with artists and tour their studios. Please call the individual studio for specific hours. Some will be open Saturday and Sunday.