We all look forward to spending lots of quality time with the kids over the summer months, but sometimes you need help keeping them engaged and occupied. Whether it’s experiencing the rich history of Galena and Jo Daviess County or running them ragged at the park, we’ve got some ideas for you!
- Shenandoah Riding Center (Galena):¬†Horseback Riding Camp for riders of all skill levels¬†with opportunities in¬†five sessions of 1/2 day lessons. New this year is a sleepover camp July 18-20!
- The Country Experience at Amstutz Farm (Elizabeth):¬†The Country Experience is a summer sleep-away camp for 7-12 year olds. A working farm where real-world work/play = confidence, respect, appreciation, joy. Read what Crain’s Chicago Business had to say about them HERE! (pictured)
- Camp Casper with the Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation:¬†With well over 900,000 known species, insects are the most diverse group of living things on Earth. They are pollinators, pests, predators, and prey, and they are the focus of Camp Casper 2016. With such a diversity of niches, behaviors, and life histories to cover, this is sure to be a fascinating year for Camp Casper. ¬†Two separate sessions open to different age groups. Older kids (ages 9-13) will attend on Monday through Wednesday while younger kids (ages 6-8) will attend Wednesday through Friday, June 21-24.¬†There is a fee attached to this program¬†and RSVP‚Äôs are required by calling JDCF at 815-858-9100 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Planetary Studies Foundation Summer Camp (Elizabeth): With programs like these it would be hard to choose…Living in the 1800’s, Space Week Astronaut Training, Cemetery & Genealogy Studies, Oceanography and Planet Earth & It’s Neighbors. For schedules, fees and registration click HERE!
Learn more about the foundation, the museum and their special events HERE!
- Galena Arts & Recreation Center (ARC): A valuable asset to the City of Galena and the surrounding communities, the Galena ARC offers several programs for school age children. Learn something new in the¬†Art Program or sign up the kids to spend the day at the pool with their Summer Camp!
- Galena Territory Summer Program (Galena): Property owners and renters¬†can take advantage of summer programs at the Owners’ Club. Call Sue in the Recreation Department for details!
- Camp Eagle at Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa¬†(Galena): Book your stay at the Inn or choose from their condos and rental homes. There’s plenty to do as a family at the resort, but when you want to head to the spa,¬†hit the links¬†as a couple or take a romantic champagne cruise,¬†Camp Eagle provides activities and fun for kids age 4-12.
- Disc or Foot Golf: Try something new with foot golf at Eagle Ridge Resort and Spa or Lacoma in East Dubuque or¬†Disc Golf at Chestnut Mountain Resort.
- Swimming Pools: Galena, Stockton, East Dubuque and Warren all have outdoor public¬†pools. The Galena Territory indoor and outdoor pools are open to property owners and guests.
- Alpine Slide & Zip Line: Sled down the mountain towards the Mississippi River at Chestnut Mountain Resort! Check for special¬†passes and get unlimited rides! The Soaring Eagle gives you a bird’s eye view with panoramic views of the mountain, river and beyond!
- Golf Lessons: Call up the pros for a private lesson at Woodbine Bend or Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa!
- Paddle Board: Rent the equipment and get a lesson on paddle-boarding on the Galena River with Fever River Outfitters.
- Galena & U.S. Grant¬†Museum: View the hologram presentation before looking down into the real lead mine and then taking in the brand new Port of Galena exhibit.
- Grant’s Home: Tour the home given to Ulysses and Julia Grant by the City of Galena.
- Blacksmith Shop: Watch and learn from the ¬†blacksmiths as they forge items that are then sold in the gift shop!
- Galena Public Library: Stop in to the Children’s Library for a quiet break!
- Chicago Great Western Railway Depot Museum: Learn about the history and the influence the railroad had on Jo Daviess County.
- Apple River Fort: Let the costumed interpreters show you the way of life for settlers back in 1832¬†when the Fort and the people in it held off¬†Blackhawk and his troops.
Try Something New:
- Cooking Demonstration with Susan Steffan, The Breakfast Diva: Let the Breakfast Diva demonstrate some of her favorite recipes! Susan Steffan was a contestant on season 2 of Food Network’s Holiday Baking Championship and her recipe was voted No. 1 by BedAndBreakfast.com! (Great for older kids!)
- Magic Show with P.T. Murphy: “Galena’s #1 Attraction!” -Trip Advisor 2013, 2014. Witness the mysteries of an ancient art up close in P.T. Murphy‚Äôs private 24 seat theater located in the heart of historic downtown Galena.
Have fun in Galena Country!