Great River Road named in the “Top 50 Trips 2017”
Wanderlust Magazine out of the UK names the Great River Road as one of the “Top 50 Trips 2017” in their February issue! The seventeen page article highlights stops along the Mississippi River, including “thriving” Galena, IL. Author Phoebe Smith suggests dining at One Eleven Main and Otto’s Place while staying at the historic DeSoto House Hotel on Galena’s Main St. Ms. Smith also points out wine tours of our local vineyards and the rich American history all along the Mississippi River.
Phoebe Smith/ Wanderlust Magazine
"...someone had recognized that their respective wooden log houses and red brick main streets were worth preserving."
Visitor’s wanting to make the Mississippi River a part of their Galena & Jo Daviess County experience can use these tips when planning their vacation.
- Play, dine & stay at Chestnut Mountain Resort in any season. Downhill ski & snowboard in the winter and take a Segway tour in the summer & fall with the river as the focal point.
- Stay & dine at the Goldmoor Inn and watch the sunset over the river
- Camp at Blanding Landing and listen to the river by the campfire.
- Hike the trails and picnic at Casper Bluff Land & Water Preserve.
- Dine at Timmerman’s Supper Club and Midtown Marina in East Dubuque, overlooking the backwaters of the Mississippi River.
- Follow the NW IL Antique Trail to find treasures along the Great River Road.
Use these helpful websites when planning your road trip:
- The Great River Road National Scenic Byway
- The Great River Road – Illinois
- Enjoy Illinois
- National Geographic – The Mississippi River